Le Centre de l’Amour (ca. 1687)

With its full title translating as "The centre of love: discovered through various emblems, gallant and facetious", this delightfully illustrated emblem book is an exploration of all corners of seventeenth-century courtship and love. The wonderful set of copper engravings are by Peter Rollos (active 1619-1639), and were previously published around 1630 in Berlin (see our highlights below). For this later Parisian edition — published "chez Cupidon" — a preface has been added and additional text in French.